Powered by Blogger.
RSS

I Love Flying, But My Ears Don't!

San Diego is absolutely incredible, but before I get into the beauty of California let me try to tell you how my first flights were. The words that come to mind are incredible, crazy, awe-inspiring, spiritual and a few others. I adore flying. It is one of the most incredible things I've ever done and I'm sorry it has taken so long. I actually think the plane has helped ease my fear of heights and planes.

American Airlines/American Eagle have some of the best flight attendants also. My plane from ABE to O'Hare in Chicago had a wonderful gentleman named David who was just fantastic. David, in my opinion should be given a raise. He was a part of the crew for flight 4085 if anyone from AA happens to be reading this. He was calm, had a magnificent voice and was quick to make things easier for the passengers on the flight. I thought he was fantastic and helped make my first flight a whole lot easier.

So I love to fly. But apparently my ears do not. Pressure, blockage, popping, pain, clogging, and finally a little bit of a scary incident with drainage and blood in the hotel about an hour after arriving have me a little concerned that my ears just don't take altitude changes very well.  The bleeding has stopped, but it is a concern since my other ear still feels clogged. I chewed gum the entire time I was on the planes so I'm not exactly sure what happened. I may try wearing ear plugs on my way home to see if that helps. It isn't painful now just a little wishy washy in my left ear. I have a few days on the ground to get readjusted so that should help.

I have some wonderful pictures to share of the sky from a bird's eye view, but as I'm on a small computer and still learning it they might not be posted until Tuesday when I come home.

Love,
The Village Drifter

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Michelle L. Devon said...

If you take your fingers, pinch your nose, puff up your cheeks with air and then very, very gentle blow like you're trying to blow air out through your ears, the popping will actually release.

The blood/discharge is not 'normal', but if you have allergies, that's actually 'common'. If there's no pain, then don't let it alarm you. It happens to my son - it's not a lot of blood, but discharge and a little blood, and it goes away. If it hurts, though, you might have ruptured an eardrum. The pain would be bad though, so if it's just achy, you're probably fine. Keep an eye on it!

Unfortunately, earplugs won't help - the problem is the external pressure of the cabin pressurizing versus the internal pressure of the body. I believe they told me once that sitting near the center of the plane makes it a little better. Can't hurt if they let you change seats to be closer to the middle (I think we put you near the middle anyway?)

I hope that clears up. I'm so glad you loved flying! I hate landings and take offs, but I adore being in the air and looking out the windows and all!

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I look forward to reading the next entry!

Post a Comment